Tamair

IATA Code: GG

ICAO Code: -

Known As: Tamair

Full Name: Tamair Pty Ltd

Country: Australia

Call sign: Wood Duck





Objects in Collection







Brief History


The original Tamair was formed in 1949 as Tamworth Air Taxis with a single Auster J5 VH-KSA.
The name was changed to Tamair in 1953.

By 1978 the company's direction changed as it acquired a number of the smaller commuter airlines.

In 1985 the original charter business had been left behind with just one full time pilot instructor and $127,000 turnover.

Paul Bredereck and Bert Abbortt, purchased the business 1st July 1985.

At its peak Tamair had a $16M turnover, 120 staff and a fleet of 45 aircraft with operational bases in Tamworth, Sydney, Dubbo, Bathurst, Launceston, Hobart and Kuala Lumpur with scheduled passenger or freight services to over 30 towns and cities each day.

In 1994 Tamair entered into a contract with Airlines of Tasmania to wet lease a number of aircraft.  This contract, combined with a number of other factors bled Tamair financially until ultimately voluntary administrators were appointed in June 1998.

At the time Tamair appointed the Administrator, they had 1 x Metro 23 and 1 x Metro III which flew TMW-SYD-TMW and SYD-GLI-IVL-SYD
2 x Chieftains
5 x C310s used on freight runs and charter.
3 x C152s, 1 x Warrior and 1 x Arrow and a PA30 Twin Commanche for flying school operations.

The original Tamair became Eastern Australia Airlines and today Qantaslink.

Former owner of Tamair Paul Bredereck has kindly loaned to the Museum a history he has compiled
on Tamair please click download 'HERE'
Logo: