Airlines of N.S.W.

IATA Code: WX

ICAO Code: -

Known As: Air New South Wales

Full Name: Air New South Wales Pty Ltd

Country: Australia

Call sign: Newsouth



Objects in Collection







Brief History


On 17 December, 1959, Butler Air Transport Ltd. was renamed Airlines of New South Wales Pty Ltd. 
The 1st operation under the new name was on 19 December.

On 17 December, Airlines of N.S.W. took over management of Ansett Flying Boat Services Pty. Ltd.
On 19 December, Airlines of New South Wales began operations & introduced their 1st Fokker F.27, VH-FNB & Convair CV-440 VH-BZN into service.  VH-BZN only served until 25 February, 1960.

On 12 January, 1960, Convair CV-440 VH-BZH was transferred to Airlines of South Australia.
On 25 February, Convair CV-440 VH-BZN was transferred to Airlines of South Australia.
On 15 April, Airlines of N.S.W. commenced a Sydney–Broken Hill–Alice Springs Convair CV-440 Mon/Wed (terminating at Broken Hill until 17 May) & Fri service.

 The return services operated Tue/Thu (commencing at Broken Hill until May 17) & Sat.
On 11 July, ANSETT-ANA commenced Monday & Thursday return Viscount service Melbourne-Broken Hill-Alice Springs & Airlines of N.S.W. withdrew its Sydney-Broken Hill-Alice Springs services, but recommenced them later in 1960.  On that date Convair CV-440 VH-BZF was returned to ANSETT-ANA (although it returned 3/7/61-5/62).  On 14 July, Convair CV-440 VH-BZI was also returned to ANSETT-ANA.

On 16 December, DC-3 VH-BDU operated the airline’s inaugural Sydney-Moruya-Merimbula-Melbourne service. 
This was a twice-weekly service.

Between 05 August & 12 September, 1963, the airline chartered QANTAS DC-4 VH-EDB, whilst an F.27 was in maintenance.  It served Casino, Coffs Harbour, Cooma & Wagga Wagga from Sydney.
On 13 December, Airlines of N.S.W. introduced Douglas DC-4 VH-INJ into their service.

On 28 May, 1969, Airlines of N.S.W. announced that options for two F28 Mk. 1000s had been converted to firm orders, with the 1st due to enter service in October 1970.

During August, Airlines of New South Wales was renamed Ansett Airlines of New South Wales. 
The 1st aircraft painted in the new 'Delta' colors was F.27 VH-FNP, which was rolled-out in the new livery on 1 August.

In March, 1970, Ansett Airlines of N.S.W. began Sydney-Quirindi services.
On 01 December, the airline commenced jet operations, with the Fokker F28 Fellowship VH-FKD, operating Flight WX1002 Sydney-Dubbo.  Services to Wagga Wagga & Broken Hill followed soon afterwards.
The original plans were for 4 F28 Mk.1000s to be introduced. 

During April, 1971, the airline's Fokker F28 jet services were suspended, due to poor loadings in a rural recession & the aircraft, VH-FKD, was transferred to MMA.
On 13 April, the company ceased services to Quirindi, which had begun 13 months before, due to lack of passengers.

On 19 September, 1974, Connair’s D.H.114 Heron VH-CLV operated their 1st commercial service Sydney-Lord Howe Island & return, for Airlines of N.S.W. (a proving flight had been operated the previous day).

On 19 December, 1975, Ansett Airlines of N.S.W.’s first Fokker F.27 Mk. 500, VH-FCA, entered service. 
This was the first of 6 ordered, at a cost of some $20m.

On 02 October, 1979, Ansett Airlines of N.S.W. announced that it had taken options on four DHC-7 Dash 7s. 
On 30 January, 1980, this was amended to three, for use Sydney-Lismore.
The options were cancelled on 05 June, 1980.

During December, Ansett Airlines of N.S.W. began daily Sydney-Maroochydore services, extending to Hervey Bay twice-a-week.

On 02 June, 1981, Ansett Airlines of New South Wales was renamed Air New South Wales.

On 04 May, 1983, Air New South Wales inaugurated F.27 Melbourne-Albury-Sydney services (VH-FCD) & Sydney-Albury-Melbourne services (VH-MMS), in competition with East-West.
During July, Air New South Wales inaugurated the first Fokker F28 flight to Cooma & recommenced F28 services to Dubbo.
On 18 September, Air New South Wales operated its inaugural Brisbane-Norfolk Island service, using F28 Mk. 4000 VH-FKI.
On 24 September, Air New South Wales operated their 1st F28 Mk. 1000 operation into Norfolk Island, using F28 Mk. 1000 VH-FKD, which had been extensively modified for over-water operations.

On 13 December, Air New South Wales F28 Mk. 1000 VH-FKD inaugurated jet services Melbourne-Devonport-Melbourne - Flights AN889/890.

On 01 May, 1985, Air New South Wales was renamed Air N.S.W.
On 17 August, Air N.S.W. inaugurated Melbourne-Devonport-Hobart-Sydney services, using F28 VH-FKA.
During August, jet services to Casino were inaugurated.
During August, the airline announced an order for a single de Havilland Canada DHC-8 ‘Dash 8’, for delivery in March 1986, with options on 2 more. 
The order was later cancelled.

During April, 1986, Air N.S.W. began weekly Sydney-Broken Hill-Yulara (Ayers Rock) F.27 services.
On 11 December, Fokker F28 Fellowship services from Sydney to Coffs Harbour were inaugurated.

On 16 November, 1987, Air N.S.W. introduced the Fokker 50, when VH-FNA entered service Sydney-Dubbo.

On 18 March, 1988, Air N.S.W. operated its last official Fokker F.27 Friendship service (Brisbane-Coolangatta-Newcastle (Williamtown)-Sydney), although some F.27s temporarily returned to service during a short-term grounding of F50s, due to engine problems.

On 1 June, East-West Airlines Ltd. took over from Air N.S.W. on the Norfolk Island services.
During 1988, Hazelton Airlines replaced Air N.S.W.’s services from Sydney to Coonabarabran, Coonamble, Lightning Ridge & Walgett with services based on Dubbo.

On 01 March, 1990, Air N.S.W. was renamed Ansett N.S.W.
On 28 November, Ansett N.S.W. was renamed Ansett Express.

On 03 February, 1991, Ansett Express began using chartered Queensland Pacific Regional’s 25-seat Mohawk 298 VH-HKS on its Sydney-Dubbo-Sydney services, initially on a one-month trial.
On 08 April, Ansett Express commenced ‘Express Shuttle’ services between Sydney & Canberra, using 46-seat Fokker 50s.
On 01 December, VH-FNE inaugurated Ansett Express Sydney-Tamworth F50 services.

On 31 October, 1993,the operations of Ansett Express were merged into Ansett Australia’s.


Information Source: Fred Niven

Structure: